Sunday, June 6, 2010

Have you had chicken skin soup lately?

I have, it was not awesome.

Let me say I am sorry for no photos. I brought my camera and cord yesterday but only had time to skype. Then I took out my camera USB cord at home and there it sits.....

  • We have been very busy with language training and keeping up with our other tasks but I think that is the whole point.
  • Last night I saw an American movie on TV that had Richard Gere and Bruce Willis in it. It also featured a very young Jack Black. It was BAD!!!! I was embarrassed that this movie was so bad that I had never heard of it and yet it made prime time television internationally.
  • No part of an animal goes to waste here! I do wish it would stop showing up on my plate. Luckily my family doesn't expect me to eat it all. If they did their expectation would not be met.
  • I think I will switch to a mostly vegetarian diet when I get to my site...
  • I met the most awesome man the other night. He is a Bulgarian grandfather and spoke great English. I have connected with a fair amount of people in my village but I hope I run in to him again.
  • I have been able to skype a couple times with family. Ivy got to see me for the first time on Skype the other day. She didn't really get it, but she loved when I played peek-a-boo with her. She will get it soon enough but then get scared by the auntie that comes out of the computer in two years! ha! It could scar her for life....
  • We are a week and a half away from the reality setting in all over again! Permanent site announcement is rapidly approaching and so are the anxiety, excitement and nerves that come with that.
  • I have the most amazing host family! They are so sincere and generous. My host mother is absolutely wonderful. They are both such hard workers. I feel very lucky to have them and look forward to continuing to bond with them and visit them over the years.
  • I finished the Alchemist. I had it for a couple years and knew I wanted to bring it, but my cousin Sam told me I had to read it before I left. I wasn't able to do that, but felt so inspired after every chance I got to read it. I have loaned it out to another trainee and feel it may make its rounds.
I will try and get the photos up on my blog next time. I do have some from my host family and other volunteers up on facebook!!!

3 comments:

morganrenee said...

I can totally see you saying, "it was not awesome." Ha! Glad to hear you have such a good host family. Can't wait to see photos.

Have fun!

Unknown said...

love it! chicken skin? maybe if they knew how good it is fried, and attached to chicken. and yeah, i'm a veggie person. My vava used to make chicken feet soup. not a euphenism. we are talking chicken feet in the soup. i was never made to eat it, but i can only imagine. if fat is flavor, how good can chicken feet soup be? they used to follow it up with beak tort. just kidding. happy to know you are well!

Joanne Swinehart said...

Can't wait to see pix of your host family. Glad you are making so many new friends! I do imagine you are ready to be in charge of your own food prep.
Thinking of you!