Thursday, September 23, 2010

I and Blog and You

The camp was a real turning point for me here. Since then my friend Jennifer and I travelled to Shumen to visit with Brittany. It was a long trip but totally worth it. We went for an early celebration of Jennifer's birthday. It was great seeing Shumen and Brittany. She took us for a tour around where we shopped at some great 2nd hand stores and we visited a monument that represents all of Bulgaria's history with 1300 steps, one for each year. (No I don't know if they add one each year) By the way that is a lot of freaking steps!!!! It is painful on the way up, luckily there is a small cafe about 3/4 of the way up to give you a little rest, but my legs were shaking for sure on the way down!

Back in my village I have been busy (finally) I told my counterpart I was ready, I want to start an after school program and start teaching English to adults. I don't know if it was a communication thing or what, but now I am teaching an after school English class to kids! ha!! We meet every Tuesday and Thursday. Tuesday was just a quick introduction and I had 16 kids not only show up, but run there after school. Today I thought, ok, if I get half of those kids back then I will be happy. Well 17 kids showed up! 17 kids at all different levels of English, and me at all different levels of Bulgarian! =) I walked home with the best smile on my face and the most amazing feeling in my heart. Not only did my lesson plan work out to exactly the right amount of time, I had a blast, got to know some of the kids, and am so ready to dive in with so many more ideas and plans!! I will start teaching English to adults soon, but I am just really enjoying my first program and the kids! Hopefully I can maintain my sanity and keep them entertained as well as time goes on.

This picture is for my Mom. She sent me a couple great packages and this dress was in one of them! I have worn it a few times and love it! I have been lucky to receive a few packages and know that a few more are on the way. Thank you to everyone for the packages and letters, and honestly thank you for even thinking of and wanting to send one! =) I can't tell you how much I appreciate it and it lifts my spirits!

At the top of 1300 steps you are treated to some great views of Shumen as well as some transformer! =) Jennifer named them the steps to Mordor. There is certainly a transformer feel to the structure. But then when you turn the corner there are some beautiful mosaics very similar to the ones I saw in Russia. Well worth the steps!

Here I am on my last step! (up)

Jenn and Brit on their last steps!!

This is where they start. If you look in the distance at the top of the hill you can see the monument. It is the big thing that does not look like a tree!

No comments: