Thursday, September 23, 2010

Blog up

One of the coolest things about the conference in Sliven was that my counterpart approached me and wanted to see if I was interested in helping out some fellow volunteers at a camp. She had previously not allowed me to leave to go to another camp so I think this was her way of trying to make up for it. I very very happily accepted the invitation, once I figured out what she was talking about and when the other volunteers actually invited me themselves. I had such an amazing time!!! It was a camp put on by two volunteers from another group, Shah a B24 who has since COS'ed (his service ended) and John who is a B25. Another B25 CJ was there to help out. There were 3 Vols from my group of B26's, Amber (my first PC friend and roomie) and Ryan, a fellow Pacific North-westerner, and of course me. We had about 8 kids from ages 15-18 and they all spoke relatively good English, which was a huge relief for me! =)

It took place in the Rhodopi Mountains in the small beautiful village of Borino. The villages and people of the Rhodopi mountains are so friendly and it is SO beautiful!! We stayed in tents and the weather for the most part cooperated. The 3 of us B26's got in after dark since we were travelling directly from our conference. Our directions were that once we got off the bus in Borino there would be a man to meet us in a green van. I knew it would be one of those amazing experiences that drew me to join the Peace Corps and it did not dissapoint.

Here is Shah leading one of the English sessions
Amber and John in one of their sessions

And we shall call her "Old Faithful". This was our group transportation from where we were camping to the village. She rode about as good as she looks, but certainly was dependable!


We went to another village for their town celebration on Sat. This is Ryan, Amber and I.
They named the camp "Myle" I still don't know why, but here are the kids spelling it out. We followed this photo with a fun game of Duck Duck Goose.

The interior

Here is CJ, Amber and Ryan on our trip into town. There is a good reason Ryan is laughing in this photo. He and I sat in the very back and often got launched off of our seat a good foot or more from the "road" that we had to traverse in order to get to and from the camp.

No comments: