Thursday, May 21, 2009

Music & PC News

Music is the story of my life! Whenever I am going through something all I have to do is turn on the radio, put in a CD and there it is, someone singing to me about my exact situation, and reminding that people survive and even come out unscathed! This morning it was The Rolling Stones "You can't always get what you want." .

That song hit me so hard this morning because some very big news came in yesterday! I know I have only eluded to my desire to join the Peace Corps in previous posts but in mid-April I turned in my application and started myself on the process of changing my life. I had an interview about two weeks after I submitted my application, and just last night I got my nomination!!! I was nominated for a program starting June 2010 in Eastern Europe working in Organizational Development particularly with Non-Profits and Non-Government Organizations (NGO). It is a dream job in the last place I wanted to go.. I struggled with that, and I cried alot (like a baby) then with the help of some great friends and family I got over it and decided I am open to Eastern Europe and that I have my own story to write and to tell! I am committed to this adventure. I am very excited about this oppurtunity, I am really interested in my potential work assignment, and I am even getting excited about possible countries in E.E.
I do not know where I am going or the exact date which I am leaving. I won't find that out until 3 months to 6 weeks before I actually leave. The application process into P.C. is a 6 step process: Submit app, Interview, Nomination, Medical & Legal Clearances, Invitation, Staging (or departure). The overall P.C. process is also broken up into 6 stages: Applicant, Nominee, Invitee, Trainee, Volunteer (PCV), and Returned Volunteer (RPCV). However one very important step is left off both of those lists.....Waiting!!! Things are done on the PC timeline and no one elses which is totally fine with me, but good to know before you join!

No comments: